C8 might get AWD - C8 Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

C8 might get AWD

GM has recently filed for a trademark for the Sport Control AWD name. Not only does this mean we might see a new all wheel drive system across GM's lineup, but there may very well be an AWD mid engine vet under development. https://www.auto123.com/en/news/gm-a...lopment/65165/
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Now i'm even more excited to see the new C8 because as more information comes out its shaping up to be a Nissan GT-R rival.

Also important to note this comes at a time that Nissan is preparing for a next-generation GT-R.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:09 AM

A lot of newer performance models seem to be considering AWD. I've heard that Ford may be going the same route with the Mustang. I do think that Chevy should give owners the option of switching between RWD and AWD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:00 PM

I see it as a move for more globalized products because consumers needs across multiple markets are becoming more in line and car makers are looking to cut costs from the start.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetted View Post
A lot of newer performance models seem to be considering AWD. I've heard that Ford may be going the same route with the Mustang. I do think that Chevy should give owners the option of switching between RWD and AWD.
I cant help but think moving the Mustang to an AWD setup, might make it lose part of what made it such a great pony car to begin with. I know Ford is going to have a serious hole in the NA lineup, but the Mustang shouldn't be used to fill everything.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Their upcoming electric crossover is already borrowing the rear end of the Mustang, so its too late for that. An AWD setup is going to provide better performance off the line, but the increased weight is going to come into play as well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I cant help but think moving the Mustang to an AWD setup, might make it lose part of what made it such a great pony car to begin with. I know Ford is going to have a serious hole in the NA lineup, but the Mustang shouldn't be used to fill everything.
I think that has to do with Ford not having a simplified brand identity which many other brands do so we might have to get used to more Mustang inspired models.

So far Ford has yet to disappoint.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 AM

People living in areas with mixed climates lean towards AWD models whenever available. What we don't know is whether or not this will be a part of the factory kit or if its an additional option.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 PM

From a competitive perspective, I think AWD should come standard along with many other features that will make this C8 a GT-R rival.
Buyers have shown that's what they want and its a win for both sides, heck, the GT-R has been in production for 11-12 years and continues to sell strong.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I agree that GM is better off just making AWD standard. If there is ever a model to experiment with a new drivetrain, its the C8. Anything they can do to give it a leg up on rivals.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page