No Manual Transmission ? - C8 Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

No Manual Transmission ?

Apparently the C8 Corvette won't be coming with a manual transmission. I think that is complete nonsense personally.

It's speculated that it will be coming with some sort of Tremec dual-clutch automatic transmissions.

Now I understand that the ZR1 going mid-engine, pulling something from under the covers and potentially hitting an excess of 700+ horseponies is aiming to be a supercar hunter. Going with a dual-clutch automatic will definitely let you hit speeds faster than a person who's banging gears can. But I really think they should at least make it an option..

How do you guys feel about this ?
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM
LSx

I've seen a lot of stuff about that but nothing is confirmed. Nonetheless, I think they should follow the way the Viper had been going and continue with the man-trans.

This is supposed to be a drivers vehicle, and pretty much the last American treasure we're gonna have that doesn't have a Hellcat engine in it, keep it 'murica !
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Enthusiasts are going to throw a fit over this, definitely. But that seems to be the trend that automakers are following. The 2017 Ford GT is getting an auto only too and the C8's European rivals won't have the option either.

Saves money in R&D if they decide to only go with the TR-9007 dual-clutch seven-speed automatic transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Makes sense to go without a manual transmission, would be pretty hard to make a shifter linkage that goes all the way to behind the rear axle.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Not really.. considering we've had a large enough amount of mid/rear engine vehicles that were/are manual. That shouldn't be an issue at all.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM
LSx

I think they should take a page from Aston Martin. The CEO has already planned that he wants a manual transmission in every future Vantage they produce. If Chev wants to keep the Camaro strictly automatic, that's cool, but at least maintain a manual transmission option for the Corvette
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:53 AM

Some enthusiasts may move away from the corvette because there isn't a manual option but Ferrari had no problem selling 458's and now the 488's with paddle shifters.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:04 PM
LSx

Definitely understandable. A lot of manufacturers right now are selling a good amount of vehicles with paddle shifters. But the Ferraris and Chevys are in different leagues if you ask me. They don't attract the same consumers.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Yup, even with the Corvette going mid-engine and all it still wont be on the Ferrari level, it's in a way the poor mans Ferrari, something that we will see rivaling the GT-R, BMW i8 and the like.

Still hope in the Camaro coming with a manual, it will more than likely be the last Chevy to come with one.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

That very well could be true. Seems like automakers are slowly phasing out manual gearboxes and Chevy is no different.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page