C8 on the Nurburgring - C8 Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

C8 on the Nurburgring

We've gotten some more footage of a C8 mule testing on the Nürburgring. This video gives us on the best sound clips of the engine/exhaust, which to me definitely sounds like a V8. Not sure if its just the number of gears, but it sounds like shifting is pretty frequent. Lets hope that doesn't mean a low redline. https://jalopnik.com/listen-to-the-b...orv-1828865457
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 AM

It sounds good imo, though I'm thinking this is a 10 speed automatic. GM did say awhile back that at least 8 of their vehicles would have this transmission by 2018.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 AM

10 speed does seem like overkill, but this might be what they need to prevent any issues with new EPA standards. So long as power delivery is linear and it downshifts properly, I don't see it being a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I can understand using so many gears on a pickup or something that's being used for hauling, but I just don't understand the benefits on a sports car. I know people have said that Ford/GM's new 10 speed is really though, so I guess that's all that matters.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 PM

It matters a lot when the goal is to squeeze out as many MPG's as possible from a powetrain that creates a big challenge but is all they can work with for now.
Once it has everything required to be an ideal Corvette successor, I could care less what they do and neither should anyone else.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Corvette has already delivered fairly decent fuel economy in their other modes (mid 20's) without the need for a 10 speed. But this really depends on your driving style. If anything its being done to streamline their lineup and reduce the number of powertrains that they have to develop.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Regardless of what the numbers are like, fortunately domestic performance car buyers seem not to care. Sales of FCA vehicles with those Hellcat engines verify that.
Ultimately as they progress towards the mid 2020'sa robust hybrid strategy will be needed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM

The power to weight ratio of models like the Hellcat, really only making them viable as straight line vehicles, and even then it can be difficult to get them to hook up. 700hp is great and all, but you're going to have limited opportunity to properly use it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
The power to weight ratio of models like the Hellcat, really only making them viable as straight line vehicles, and even then it can be difficult to get them to hook up. 700hp is great and all, but you're going to have limited opportunity to properly use it.
Just heard that Tesla wants to make the next Roadster a leader on all key attributes people look for in a performance car. Exciting news since its not just straight line power anymore.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

I've never understood the fascination with all these 4000lb new age muscle cars. It will be interesting to see just how much they change as we move towards electrified powertrains, because they are going to have to do some significant weight cutting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page