Power doors? - C8 Corvette Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Power doors?

Chevy filed a new patent just before Christmas for a vehicle with power swinging doors. Its fairly obviously from the leaked images that this references the C8, so we may be seeing some brand new tech debut here. My main concern is the additional weight that this kind of system would bring. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...e-131263.html#
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:31 PM

IMO, weight shouldn't be a concern till we get more insight on the C8's specs. For all we know they have 300-400 LBS to play with.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Seems unnecessary for what's meant to be a supercar. Unwanted weight is going to have an impact on handling as well as off the line performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Seems unnecessary for what's meant to be a supercar. Unwanted weight is going to have an impact on handling as well as off the line performance.
Tell me about it. If this was a Cadillac, then GM has every reason to do this.

In fact, it might just be a study of an upcoming C8-based Caddy... XLR successor?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 AM

At least these leaks indicate that GM is actually going to be using the C8 to debut some new tech. Features like this should be kept optional, because I don't think everyone is going to have an interest in them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Don't forget there has also been a mention of a powered targa top. Seems unnecessary to be putting all these additional electronics in a performance car. No wonder its wiring loom has been found to be inadequate.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

GM sees the C8 as a good opportunity to introduce new features to the vet platform. I personally don't see anything wrong with a manual targa top, and if it was carbon fiber it would weigh nothing at all.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
GM sees the C8 as a good opportunity to introduce new features to the vet platform. I personally don't see anything wrong with a manual targa top, and if it was carbon fiber it would weigh nothing at all.
Regardless of what anyone thinks it has to be an entry-level supercar for the 2020's. My guess is that's why the Viper didn't perform too well, it was just too old school.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Price was a big reason why the Viper failed, and many would argue that it was also partly because it was built by Chrysler. I agree that it just didn't evolve to meet competitors in its last few years.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Pricing wasn't an issue, there was only so low they could go.
It just that on one wants to pay $100k for a muscle car that looks like a supercar, it need to perform like a supercar.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page